Thursday, February 23, 2012

Berlin

While Oma came to our house to watch Sophie, Sandra and I went on a quick trip to Berlin to visit her nephew and Andrew's cousin Eddie and his girlfriend Dyan who have been living there for a year now. Berlin was a first for both of us.
 Once we were on the right train (don't ask!), we were headed for the capital at racing speed.

That night we had reservations at a dark restaurant (pitch black) called unsicht-bar (invisible) www.unsicht-bar.com. Needless to say there are no pictures of me eating with my hands, licking my plate clean, and pouring my wine with one finger in the glass to measure how much.
 So much to see: Checkpoint Charlie, Stasi-Museum, Topography of Terror, ...
 ...the site of Hitler's bunker (I would not want to live there, despite its central location)...
 ...the Holocaust Memorial (very well made in my opinion)...
 ...Sandra, Eddie, and Dyan at the Brandenburg Gate...
 ...at the Reichstag... 
time for a cup of tea Unter den Linden before we kept walking...
the GDR Museum was very interesting as well...
...ran into Pinocchio. Is my nose getting long? 
 Before we headed back to Miss Sophie the next day, we trekked out to Charlottenburg to the Commonwealth War Cemetery to find the grave of a colleague of Sandra's uncle. 
Shot down at age 21. 
Berlin's history is everywhere.

I am sure we will be back here before too long. There is so much more to see and do and it was fun to visit with Eddie and Dyan. 

Four hours later, I was a mum again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment